Not so much by Martha but from her example, some helpful hints on how to to make your appearance as a defendant on criminal charges a good thing:
- Do not try to neaten up the evidence.
- Do not be helpful with the investigators by creating a tidy tale.
- Do not hire the lawyers for your corporation as your personal lawyers.
- Do not hire your son-in-law as one of your lawyers.
- Do not agree with your lawyers when they suggest it is a good idea to be helpful with the investigators by creating a tidy tale.
- When a story has been told to a judge casting you in a bad light, put some evidence on the table casting you in a good light.
- Later: Do not invite a bunch of TV celebrity pals show up for the jury deliberations and decision.
- Do not immediately and before sentencing post a note on your website saying that you are innocent despite the guilty finding by the jury - only to take it down hours later when you realize that you are insulting the system about to sentence you to jail.